Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Gleek (or the importance of having a FUN mind mapping tool)

My despair didn't last long, thanks to finally giving in to using a mind mapping tool. After 3 years of work, of course I was overloaded with information and couldn't organise my thoughts in a single sheet of paper, as I am used when I write essays and articles.

I avoided as long as I could learning how to use yet another software, but at 7pm today, after spending another day struggling with logical ideas and hierarchies of concepts, I made the call and chose View Your Mind over FreeMind simply because VYM is *really* easy to use. Very importantly, both are free, and run on Ubuntu (in fact I got them in the Ubuntu Software Centre).

Ok, it saved my life. Really. I've always needed to build a conceptual map of my arguments before writing, but it was becoming nearly impossible to do that by hand with that huge amount of information. Every time I had to change one argument I lost track of all the others. It used to be a nightmare... but now it's FUN!

So, "Gravity" no longer in my spirit, just Glee :)


No comments: